Adolescent Girls and Young Women
About the program
The adolescent and youth programme is there to educate and empower adolescents and youth on the ills of gender stereotypes, stigma, and discrimination in the communities of OR Tambo and also service other girls, boys, and young people in the nearby cities outside OR Tambo district municipality.
We provide the participatory workshops, township theatre, and educational dialogues to reach out to boys and young people and to sensitise them about the current and older practiced culture, beliefs, and rituals of black people and western inherited unhealthy living norms and standards that violates the rights of adolescents and young people as well as women. These adopted ills used practices usually and mostly increase the vulnerability of women, adolescents and young people on gender-based violence, forced marriage of girls, and illegal traditional male circumcision. The organisation also enhances the beneficiaries’ knowledge on voluntary medical male circumcision and sexual reproductive health and rights, sexuality, gender, and diversity on orientation.
A Young Leadership Development Program covers the following topics:
- Introduction to Leadership;
- Health, HIV/AIDS and Self-Awareness;
- Community Development;
- Team Work and Team Building;
- Personal Growth and Planning and
- Community Service Learning.
Issues on the commission that will be discussed include the following one
- Leadership & Governance and the Challenges of African Development
- Leadership, NEPAD, the African Union, and African Progress
- Poverty Alleviation, Inequality, Social Justice
- The Power of Ideas, Intellectualism, Research, Innovation & Creativity
This year, Social Change aims to run another Young Leadership Development Program workshop from 13th – to 18th July 2020, bringing together 30 young people across Nyandeni and aimed at covering the whole OR Tambo district or province on YLDP2015 depending to the availability of funds.